Wednesday 1 June 2011

To Bee or Not to Bee.

A simple bee sting has created semi controlled havoc in my life since May 24. The wee blighter got me on my face and all hell has broken loose. Going out in public is a challenge right now and the prospect of having bits cut off my face today is a little daunting. But I guess there is learning and growth in every situation....I have learnt that I don't much like bees, that we must support our friends and actually make time for them. That kids are incredibly accepting and can be more supportive than some adults. Saying all this - I'd still rather not've been stung...to be honest.
A random set of Facebook posts as my journey has progressed.
Dear Bee. I wonder why you flew into my hair and then objected when I tried to get you out? If only you hadn't stung me on my face, you wouldn'tve gone off and died. I would not look like half a chipmunk and I wouldn't have to wear piles of make-up to avoid scaring young children. Dear Bee...why oh why??
Dear Bee. You have now begun to cost me lots of money. 1st visit to the nurse, then doctor plus prescription - $37. On Thursday I have to go and have bits cut off my face for biopsy...who knows how many $$ that will release from my wallet. My lips are swollen like I've had bad botox, my face is on fire and your poison has made my immune system go crazy and probably caused discoid lupus. Dear Bee...why oh why??
Dear Bee. Just to show that I would not be beaten by a 1 and a half centimeter, 90 milligram monster, I went to the Food Show with my bright red, blotchy face, which burned more and more as the stadium got warmer. Only a few people cowered or averted their eyes as I passed! See bee...you are dead, and I am very, very, full! So there bee...so there!
Dear Bee. It wasn't a very nice weekend thanks to you, but I have to say, I am very impressed with the kids I teach and how accepting they are of my 'condition' as ugly as it is. Today I was at Kahutara School, explained your unprovoked attack and they were really nice, not even mentioning it again. So bee, my faith in human beings has grown - and you are still dead...take that bee, take that!
Dear Bee. What I like most about u is that u are dead. What I like least about u is that u stung me & now I have a big pile of pooh on my face that hurts like a nasty hurting, burning thing. On Thurs I get to go to the doc & he will cut bits off my face...then put the odd stitch in & that seems to be ok with the medical people. But bee, I am alive & whinging, you are dead & unable to whinge...so haa bee!!! So HAA!
Dear Bee. Last night when my eye closed over with swelling I reflected on the last week's journey. There is obviously a learning experience in here for me, but at the moment I'm not entirely sure what it is. Maybe it's 'looks don't matter' or 'beauty is only skin deep'...maybe it's 'don't scratch itchy things on your face' or even 'cats like the taste of pawpaw ointment'. Maybe its - 'when friends are struggling...for goodness sake go out of your way to support them'...as I've had awesomeness from my friends and family over the past few days. So bee...I guess I have learned some things, and I, dear bee will go forth a stronger and hopefully less itchy and blotchy person...and you dear bee...will by now probably 'bee' reduced to a pile of dust...To be bee...or indeed in your case...not to bee!
Kindness comes in many forms... 
This facebook message is exchangeable for one great foot massage using lovely smelling tui massage waxes in the comfort of your own home followed by the use of a spa too draw your focus away from your current infliction and improve your overall sense of well being for at least 10 mins, guaranteed.
Let's face it though, in spite of my recent less than stellar experience with the humble bee, they are pretty darned special. They're always so busy and imagine a world without honey (a world without beestings, I can imagine). I love to use honey in cooking and we are blessed here in NZ with such variety of types and innovation in honey based products. I found a recipe which combines 'two of my favourite things', honey and duck, on the Beesonline website http://www.beesonline.co.nz/

Duck Breast

Duck Breast
4 Duck Breasts, skin and duck fat removed

Marinade
Half cup red wine
Quarter cup Beesonline Red Wine and Manuka Honeygar
4 bay leaves
Half cup Olive Oil

With a sharp knife carefully remove skin and fat from duck breasts and combine breasts with marinade ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Beesonline Red Wine and Manuka Honeygar Glaze
24g butter
2 tablespoons flour
325mls chicken stock
50 mls red wine
30 mls Beesonline Red Wine and Manuka Honeygar
1 teaspoon Manuka honey

Melt butter in saucepan, whisk in flour and cook to make a roux. Stir in remaining ingredients, heat to boiling, then simmer 10 minutes skimming off the fat to create the glaze.

Leek and Bacon Sauté
50g butter
1 leek, sliced
4 rashers bacon, diced
Heat butter in pan, add leek and bacon and sauté until soft.

Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Remove duck breasts from marinade and discard the marinade. Sear duck breasts briefly (2 seconds) in a very hot ovenproof pan, cover the pan and bake in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

TO SERVE:Slice each duck breast diagonally into several slices. Serve duck breast slices on a bed of wild rice with sautéed leek and bacon. Dress with the Red Wine and Manuka Honeygar Glaze.

TIP FROM THE EARTHSONG LODGE CHEF, TREVOR RENDLE: Discarding the skin and duck fat makes this a lean and healthy main course choice and the marinade tenderizes and enhances the flavour of the duck breasts.

ENJOY!
 



 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely Suzanne 1 Bee 0 I hope it all heals up really soon xx

    ReplyDelete